Tuesday, September 4, 2018

We joined the Gym!

WHY I DON'T LIKE THE GYM

A lot of people make New Year resolutions to join the gym in January. Their aim - to better their lifestyles and to embark on a fitness journey.



For me the gym has always been a place that I find tedious. Some people love the gym; I would much prefer to go for a walk in the countryside or a cycle along the canal than to the gym. The only equipment I actually end up using whilst there is the treadmill, the bike and the cross trainer - oh and I may do a few weights if I feel in the mood.  You can see the reason why my membership to the gym was cancelled after months of not attending - I just didn't enjoy it. Plus finding the time with my work load played it's part. I could have gone on my weekends , but this is family time where we get our exercise from being out and about as much as we can.

That being said there is one sport that I love more than anything and that is Swimming.  I have been a swimmer ever since I was little, and even became part of a swimming team back in my teens. My mum still tells the story of when I was only 2, on holiday in Spain. I was sat in my pushchair, asleep, or so they thought until they saw me get out of the pushchair and jump straight into the pool with no armbands on.  Lesson learnt - they made me sleep in armbands for the rest of the holiday.

I have always found that Swimming gives me a sense of freedom, a place to go when things got tough. As I glide through the water it clears my mind and that is something that I have been craving lately.


DECISIONS

So when we saw that one of our local gyms now does Family Membership,  we went to find out more.  Initially we enquired around a few different gyms, but they weren't for us.  Non would allowed Titch to use the equipment or go into the pool unless it was 'Family time.' We wanted something that we can all do together , as the time we have together is so precious.

This gym, however, not only had all the equipment of a normal gym: cardio, weights, classes, a ladies gym, spinning , but the bonus for me was that it also has 2 pools. Titch was also allowed to use all of the equipment apart from free weights. We if'd and ah'd about whether to join as £99 a month = £1188 a year and thats a lot of money that could go towards an holiday.  But when I sat down and really thought about it, £99 a month is 2 meals out for us as a family of 3, and we do eat out a lot. In the end we joined up.

WHY WILL I GO THIS TIME?

This time we have joined the gym as a family.  This means that even Titch can access all the equipment that his dad does.  The gym is something that Titch has been talking about for a while , but only being 13 most gyms won't let children go onto the equipment. Here Titch and the Husband can spend time together whilst I swim. Having 2 pools also means that Titch can practise his swimming with me in the Family Pool after he has been in the gym with the Husband.

Another advantage of having family membership is that even if we don't want to go to the gym we can take Titch swimming and it won't cost us anything extra. Titch has been nagging us for ages to take him swimming, but we have just never gone seen as our local pool is not cheap for an hours swim.  Now we can go whenever we like.  

As we all be going to the gym together, we have no excuse, and trust me Titch won't let us get out of it.  We can still spend time together; we get to improve our fitness and health; Titch will get some 1:1 time with both the Husband and I ,and it will be something for us to do as Winter comes in on those dark nights or wet weekends.  

Since joining up we have been 4 times, and I hope that we continue to do so, as  I am really enjoying my 'Me' time which I don't get very often.




Confessions of a New Mummy
Debs Random Writings
SHARE:

5 comments

  1. Brilliant that you can all go as a family. This is something that I have often spoken to my hubby about as if it's just me, I never go! You can all encourage each other :-) #TwinklyTuesday

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly. I wouldn’t go on my own either. Having someone to go with is definitely good motivation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great idea being able to go as a family. It sounds like you all enjoy it so I do hope you continue to go.
    #keepingitreal

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I like to keep fit, but the thought of going to a gym makes my blood run cold, it's not for me. But how fantastic that you have managed to find one that you can enjoy as a family. It's something that could make a difference to how Titch views health and fitness when he's all grown up and hairy (oh yes, it happens to them all).

    Thank you for linking up with #keepingitreal.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its great that you've been able to find somewhere that you can all go as a family. Meals out soon add up, at least with a gym membership you will all see/feel the benefits of going. Thanks for linking up to #twinklytuesday, hope to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete

© Thrills, Spills and Adventures
Blogger Templates by pipdig